Get Real, Get Right with Yourself

On of my favorite television shows of all time is the makeover show TLC's What Not to Wear with Stacy London and Clinton Kelly. I actually think I have seen every episode, which is no small feat. But I really love experiencing the physical and emotional transformations of the subjects. Maybe it has something to do with wanting my own physical and emotional transformation. I certainly could stand a little help in both of those departments and I suspect that's a shared feeling amongst most of their viewers.

You can imagine my excitement last night when they aired a new episode and the subject was a popular blogger who goes by the name Dumb Mom at Parenting by Dummies. And her BIG issue, which, believe it or not, is not shared by every subject of the show, was her post childbirth weight that she carried around her middle. This spare tire was the source of much mental anguish as this professional photographer cried onscreen about how terrible she felt about her physical appearance.


I was so excited to go to her blog after the show was over and share my experience and strength with her. I mean, why not? She was practically crying out, "Help me, I hate my body." Yes, she was TRANSFORMED by the show, both physically and emotionally, but I was worried about her. I mean, how long could the good feelings last from the nice clothes, the new hair and the pretty make-up when ultimately the good feelings have to come from treating yourself to healthy food on a daily basis (wow, how that spare tire would disappear once and for all!), exercising in a method that you love, and positive self-talk.

Isn't she beautiful? photo http://parentingbydummies.com/

And then I read her "about " page in her blog. This is how she describes herself:

"Dumb Mom is not your everyday mom blogger.  She doesn’t craft (not well anyway).  She doesn’t share many healthful dinner alternatives (because she likes bacon, and bacon flavored products)."

So I started to wonder whether or not introducing myself would be such a good idea afterall (NOT!). And then it hit me.

Dumb Mom can complain all she wants to about her spare tire and the body parts that look less-than-ideal, but when it really comes down to it, is she willing to make the choices that she needs to, over and over and over, that would result in the body that would give her better self esteem and the best body that she can attain given her heredity and life experiences (read "havin' babies")?

Am I willing to make the right choices? I really need to think about that, because I'm one who incessently cries on about the way my stomach pouch protrudes, but I'm not always making the best choices (can anyone envision two scoops of Ben & Jerry's in a waffle cone after the kindergarden concert last night?).

Who am I going to be? The one who complains and lets her self image suffer or the one who makes the right choices to get the body that she thinks she wants? Even more importantly, the HEALTH that comes along with making the right choices?

Who are you going to be?

0 comments:

Post a Comment