Weight Watchers Potato and Green Bean Salad, E2 Approved


About a year ago I was given a recipe at a Weight Watchers' meeting that was an instant classic in my kitchen. I made it many times last summer as a substitute for the traditional fat laden potato salad, and I have to say, this one tastes much better. Of course, you have to like tarragon, and I learned that I really like tarragon.

So this summer I had my first opportunity to make it and I noticed that the original Weight Watchers recipe called for a decent amount of olive oil (3 Tbsp per recipe).  That's a lot of added fat and calories. So this year, having found my Engine 2 mojo, I decided to try it without any olive oil AT ALL, adding 3 extra Tbsp of veggie broth instead. And do you know what? It was just as delicious as I remembered! I will never put in the oil again.

So it got me wondering, just why do we think that all food must contain OIL? Is oil like salt, something that our taste buds have become accustomed to but that with a little effort we can cut way back on? I was watching an episode of Foodology last night on The Cooking Channel and witnessed someone saute an onion in 6 Tbsp of olive oil. What? 6 tablespoons for one onion? That's a lot of oil! And a ton of wasted calories. What do you think? How are you cooking these days?

Weight Watchers Potato and Green Bean Salad, Revamped Healthy Girl Style

24 ounces fingerling potatoes, scrubbed, sliced into 1/4" rounds
8 ounces (or more!) green beans, stem ends trimmed, cut or broken into bite sized pieces
9 Tbsp vegetable broth
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives

Put potatoes into a large pot. Fill pot halfway up with water; bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until almost tender, about 8 minutes. Add green beans and cook until potatoes are tender and green beans are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes more. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain again.

Meanwhile, to make dressing, in the bottom of a large serving bowl, whisk together broth, shallots, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper.  Stir  in tarragon, dill and chives.  Add potatoes and green beans to bowl; toss gently, taking care not to break up potatoes, until mixed and coated with dressing.



0 comments:

Post a Comment