Vegan Bean, Corn and Broccoli Enchilada Casserole

This summer I have developed a confidence in the kitchen that I never had before. I am finally starting to develop my own recipes.

So this morning when I was flipping through my arsenal of healthy cookbooks looking for something to make for dinner, but not finding anything that seemed easy enough and satisfying enough, I happened upon an enchilada recipe. But instead of transcribing a list of ingredients from the cookbook onto my grocery list, I just started pulling out cans and jars from my cupboard.  Cilantro and broccoli were the only two things that I needed from the grocery store.

Healthy Girl's Kitchen Vegan Bean, Corn and Broccoli Enchilada Casserole
Serves 8, 4 Weight Watchers Points per serving

1 large head broccoli, washed and cut into florets (this would also be great with a big bag of frozen spinach, defrosted or any other combination of steamed veggies--the more the merrier!)
1 can fat free refried beans
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 jar of your favorite salsa, in this case I used Trader Joe's Pineapple Salsa
1 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped
1 package (6 count) Food for Life Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas
1 jar or can of your favorite enchilada sauce

Fill the bottom of a large pot with two inches of water. Place a steamer basket into pot and put broccoli florets into the steamer. Let water come to a boil and steam broccoli until soft but not mushy. Remove pot from heat and let sit.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine next 5 ingredients and stir to combine. When broccoli is cool enough to handle, rough chop it and add it to the bean and corn mixture.

Spray a 9x13" casserole dish with cooking spray. Place two tortillas at into the casserole, letting the edges go up the sides of the dish a little. Place half of the bean, corn and broccoli mixture on to the tortillas and spread the mixture evenly.  Layer two more tortillas and the rest of the bean, corn and broccoli mixture. Place the last two tortillas on top. Finally, pour the entire can of enchilada sauce over the top and spread it out.


My husband said this was "excellent," my 10 year old daughter loved it, and I agreed with them both!

0 comments:

Post a Comment