Raw Foods-What's Up With That?

A lot of you know that I have been exploring the world of "raw foods" over the past many months, making myself loads of green smoothies, experimenting with new raw recipes and reading a lot about the philosphy behind the movement.  And I guess I even scared my mom, who called me and gently suggested that I might be an orthorexic. So I just wanted to take a moment and clear the air and also let everyone know my current thoughts on the raw food thing.

I am not a "raw foodist" but I do try to eat a lot of raw veggies, fruits and nuts.  That does not mean that I also do not eat a ton of cooked veggies.  It's all good!

So why this fixation on raw? Well, it turns out that if you follow Dr. Fuhrman's advice on becoming a Nutrarian (1 pound of raw veggies and 1 pound of cooked veggies every day--not nearly as difficult as it sounds) you might start out by consuming a lot of green salads.  And that can get a little boring after a while. It's not nearly as much fun as testing out all of the wonderful cooked recipes in his books, on the internet and in cookbooks, that's for sure.

That's where the world of raw food stepped in to save the day.  It's full of millions of amazing recipes--all with raw fruits and vegetables. It made being a Nutrarian all the more fun and exciting, but it didn't turn me into a radical.

If you are interested in what Dr. Fuhrman has to say about the raw vs. cooked debate, check out the following links:

0 comments:

Post a Comment