Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup

Everyone who tried this soup today loved it! Bright green broccoli florets float prettily in this hearty soup, but it's broccoli stems that do the real work. They're cooked with the potatoes and then pureed to form a creamy base. A optional final touch of Parmesan gives the soup an Italian feel.

Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
12 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth (3 boxes)
4 large potatoes, peeled and medium diced (I used Russet because that's what I had on hand)
2 bunches broccoli, stems removed and rough chopped, reserve the florets
salt and pepper

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot.  When oil is hot, add chopped onion. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until onions are translucent but not brown, about 10 minutes. Turn down heat a bit if onions start to brown.

Add vegetable (or chicken) broth, chopped broccoli stalks, diced potatoes, 1.5 tsp salt and pepper to pot. Cover pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Once simmering, turn heat to low and let simmer, covered, until potatoes are easily broken with a spoon.  Using a hand (immersion) blender, puree contents of pot.

Remove from heat and add broccoli florets. Stir and let sit for a few minutes until florets are soft. Taste soup and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.  Serve immediately or refridgerate and save for later. 


I served the Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup for dinner tonight with a salad that I made out of Dr. Fuhrman's Eat for Health cookbook. It is called Quinoa Bean Salad, and according to my husband Randy, it is "extraordinary" and "out of control," which is what I'm finding with all of the recipes from Eat for Health.  It's got currants, carrots, quinoa, walnuts, goji berries, tomatoes, peppers, garlic and chili powder.  I'm pretty sure that Dr. Fuhrman wouldn't be too happy with me if I started publsihing his recipes to the web, so if you are interested, you'll just have to buy the book!

P.S. I served the Quinoa Bean Salad over a large bed of chopped romaine lettuce and arugula. I find that serving a higher calorie, albeit nutritious, grain/bean salad over a bed of lettuce is a better way to go to fill me up on fewer calories while still being amazing and delicious.


0 comments:

Post a Comment