Road Trip Report and Healthy Engine 2 Diet Chalupas

Let's just say that taking a road trip with a family of small children to a college reunion is not the best scenario for a person attempting a 28 day vegan, no added fat, no processed food challenge. I'm not going to bore you with the gory details, but let's just say "What happens in Princeton stays in Princeton."

Now don't get me wrong, Sophia and I stayed relatively "plant strong" for the entire 5 days. But there were some serious moments of weakness (me with the Indian food, the Belgian waffles and the ice cream truck treats, her with the sugar cereals and  the ice cream truck treats).  There were also some real highlights, most notably a barbecue at my brother's house with tons of delicious plant strong food prepared by my sister-in-law (thanks Ruth!). And thanks to my plant strong ways, even with all of that indulgence, I didn't gain an ounce. SHOCKING!

Being a total homebody, it was a real relief to be back to the daily grind.  And because the daily grind around here involves some sort of experiment with a new (for us) plant strong recipe,  last night's dinner was Chalupas from The Engine 2 Diet book.  Not surprisingly at all, it was a huge success.  Easy and delicious, just like the other recipes from the book.

Healthy E2 Chalupas
Serves 2 (for the original recipe, my version served 2 adults and 1 child)

6 corn tortillas (I used 4 Sprouted Grain Wheat Tortillas)
1 can fat-free vegetarian refried beans
12 cherry tomatoes, cut in halves (I used a lot more and substituted in grape tomatoes)
1 jalapeno, diced (I omitted this)
1 avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced (I used 1.5 avocados)
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 bunch cilantro
Salsa
My own additions: diced mango, black beans

Preheat oven to broil. Place the tortillas on a sprayed baking sheet (optional: line baking sheet with aluminum foil first) and broil for 2 minutes.  Turn the tortillas and cook for one minute, or until crispy.  Spread the tortillas with about 1/3 cup refried beans. Sprinkle on the optional black beans.  Place tomato halves on each chalupa.  Sprinkle jalapeno onto the chalupas. Broil for 5-7 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to droop (watch out that the chalupas don't burn during this step--do not place them in the oven too close to the heat source).  Divide up the avocado slices among the chalupas, and top with the lettuce, salsa, cilantro and optional mango.

0 comments:

Post a Comment