11 in 2011 and Eat to Live Contest Winner!

Happy, happy New Year y'all!!!!

"On New Year's Day, be specific about your goals rather than just going with the flow or being vague about what you want. Make a list of realistic plans and get into action."

That thought was in my inbox this morning from http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/. That, and just a few days ago I found myself reading a post on another blog, http://www.ohsheglows.com/, where Angela publicly announces her goals for each year. At the end of each year she recaps and reviews how she did. I thought it was so beautiful, so meaningful, and so so scary at the same time. Of course I want to continually strive to be the best version of me that I can be, including being a loving and caring wife, mother, daughter, sister and friend and being an honest and good business person. But what if write specific things down and then I fail? Do I have the nerve to publically do this myself?

HELLS YEAH I DO!

Number 1: To learn to stop eating BEFORE I get full. To eat less and less often. Okay, I know, I'm the queen of volume, right? Well, that's great, unless I am eating to the point where my stomach hurts. A calorie is a calorie and if I'm eating one that I don't need, it's a problem. A problem for my waistline and also a problem for my IBS. Yes, there you have it, my IBS. It's something that I struggled with horribly 20 years ago when my life was far more stressful, and it's mostly under control now, but it's still there. And eating too much causes me gastrointestinal distress. So goal Number 1, learn how to eat less. (If you are an IBS sufferer, see http://www.fartygirl.blogspot.com/ for a hilarious account of one girl's experience in controlling her IBS with whole food nutrition instead of medication.)

Number 2: To chew my food well. I tend to inhale my food. Eating is like an out of body experience, generally combined with conversation and distractions (reading, tv, screaming kids). I am the opposite of a mindful eater. But I would love to become a mindful eater. And this is me saying that out loud. 
 
Number 3: To get in touch with real hunger and learn to love it. I'm not sure I know what real hunger is. I tend to eat when the clock strikes certain numbers. My stomach growls loudly at 11:30 am, every day. Dr. Fuhrman says that stomach growling is a toxic form of hunger and that real hunger is a feeling in your mouth/throat. I'm not sure I even understand, but I want to. I'll be exploring hunger and hunger's role in maintaining a healthy weight in a forthcoming blog post.

Number 4: Number 5: To exercise 5-6 times per week (up from 4 times per week). Like they say over at Lululemon, "Sweat everyday, once" or something like that. Well, I was sweating about 6 days a week and then life kinda took over and sweating became a 4 day a week thing. And to tell you the truth, I just don't feel as good as when I was sweating 6 days a week. So I need to go back.

Number 6: To continue to blog and to blog well. You guys probably think that I am the Queen of T.M.I. (Sorry to steal that, Farty Girl), but I can always be more honest about my struggles with food. I love to blog, but it takes a lot out of me. For that reason, I want my blog to be exceptional, or it's not worth the time and effort. In that I want to express that my hope is to form a little community here at http://www.healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/ so I am going to keep asking you questions and keep trying to get you guys to leave comments! It really is the absolute best thing you know, the comments. It's the reason any blogger blogs, I think; to feel the connection with like minded people. To know that you are not alone. So please, regular readers of this blog, become regular commenters! Pleeeeezeeeee!
Number 7: To plan and take a trip with my family (parents, aunt, uncle, brothers and their families). Vegas Baby Vegas! In May . . . G-d willing, if my father's health is good enough.

Number 8: To have a design and plan for the renovation of my kitchen, should I be blessed with the resources to renovate it. I think my kitchen is having a milestone birthday pretty soon. 50. Nuf said.

Number 9: To plan and execute a womens-mothers-daughters event in my community. I know that I am not alone in wanting to gossip as little as I can and not at all if possible. I see how destructive it is and listening to it is worse than speaking it yourself. I am a work in progress, and this is part of my journey in this life. Learning how to not do it and sharing this information with others is something that I am fully capable of.

Number 10: To travel to Israel. I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take the trip of a lifetime. I just have to let go and leave my kids for 10 days. It won't be easy, but I know that I have to do it.

Number 11: This one will remain a secret, to be revealed at a later time.

There, I said (wrote) it. It wasn't that bad. Now I just have to push the "publish" button . . .

Dear Readers,
What are your 2011 resolutions? I would love nothing more than to hear about them!

And now, for the moment you've all been waiting for!

The First Ever Healthy Girl's Kitchen Blog Contest Winner!

There were 13 entries . . .
But only one can be the winner!

My lovely assistant.


So Sue in Ohio (Sunny Hawk) can you please e-mail me your address? wendysolganik@yahoo.com

Congratulations Sue! And thanks to everyone who posted an entry. Look forward to other fun on Healthy Girl's Kitchen in 2011.

0 comments:

Post a Comment