Go-to Moroccan Chickpea Stew

I was having a "deep" conversation today about go-to recipes and the appropriateness of serving vegan food to guests at your dinner table. "What are your vegan entertaining go-to recipes?" my friend Jill asked, who's husband is a newly inspired no-added-fat vegan and who's sister-in-law has been living the "diet" for quite some time.

It surely is a personality thing, but I have zero problem serving vegan food to my non-vegan guests and even crazier than that, I generally experiment on guests. Oh my gosh! I said it out loud.

My feeling is that if I experiment with enough different food at one dinner, there is bound to be something really good in the mix. And what I have found lately is that everything that I am making is beyond passable, it's downright amazing. And I take no credit for this, I'm just a tester and tweaker of other people's recipes. And maybe it's because I'm a food blogger, but I just can't get myself to make the same thing twice when there are a bizillion amazing recipes out there to try!
Like this recipe for Moroccan Chickpea Stew. I truly cannot remember how I stumbled upon Vegan Epicurian's blog, but I'm so glad I did. This recipe is certainly company worthy. It's also just great turned into a salad of sorts, served over a bed of fresh baby spinach on any regular night. If you are unfamiliar with the health benefits of garbanzo beans, check out what Whole Foods Market has to say about them.

Want the recipe?  Get it here. My only changes were that I substituted vegetable broth for the oil and I couldn't find preserved lemons at Whole Foods so I just put in one whole lemon, cut into large chunks and seeded. I started the recipe by cooking my chickpeas from scratch instead of using the canned version. It took quite a while, but was relatively pain free. If you'd like to do that too, get the instructions here.


When you are serving guests, do you stick to tried and true recipes or do you experiment on your company?

What is your favorite bean? Do you eat beans or lentils every day? If not, why not?

0 comments:

Post a Comment