Best Foods for a Healthy Heart

How did you like my first printable version of a recipe? Slick huh? If you need instructions for how to make this happen on your blog, go to the Food Bloggers Unite blog and get the complete instructions.


Have you had your cholesterol level tested lately? Did you know that a total cholesterol level above 200 mg/dL places you at risk for cardiovascular disease?  My total cholesterol was 231 before I became a Nutritarian.

In the Framingham Heart Study, deaths due to heart disease were absent in subjects with total cholesterol levels below 150 mg/dL, but as cholesterol increased above 150 mg/dL, heart disease rates began to increase. That's great news for me, because the last time I had it checked my total cholesterol was 147. You can't believe how stoked I am!

But just because I lowered my cholesterol doesn't mean I can rest easy! It's always helpful for me to be reminded of the foods that are healthy for me. As a subscriber of Dr. Fuhrman's member center, I have access to and receive by e-mail tons of helpful information. It's $14.95 per month that I believe is well spent. Today I received a list of tips that I wanted to share with you. Because Healthy Girl's Kitchen s an affiliate of http://www.drfuhrman.com/ I am authorized to share this information with my readers. Isn't that cool? There were a giant list of footnotes to these suggestions which I have not included here.
 
So here are Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations for a healthy heart:

• Eat a high nutrient, vegetable-based diet with plenty of raw vegetables and cooked greens.


• Eat berries and pomegranates. The antioxidants in berries and pomegranates, such as anthocyanin and punicalagin, are especially effective in improving both LDL and HDL cholesterol.

• Avoid trans fats and minimize saturated fats. High cholesterol and heart disease deaths are more closely associated with saturated fat intake than any other part of the American diet.

• Eat one ounce of raw nuts and seeds daily. The phytosterols found in nuts and seeds lower blood cholesterol by blocking both cholesterol absorption during digestion and the re-absorption of cholesterol produced by the liver. Plus, nuts have additional cardio-protective effects that have yet to be discovered.

• Limit your intake of animal protein to at most two 3-ounce servings per week. If you have heart disease or significantly high cholesterol, avoid animal products altogether. Animal protein consumption directly increases heart disease risk.

• Eat beans daily. Beans are packed with resistant starch, soluble fiber, and phytochemicals which help to lower cholesterol. A 19-year study found that people who eat beans at least four times a week have a 21% lower risk of heart disease than those who eat them less than once a week.

• Have 1 Tbsp. of ground flaxseed each day. Flaxseeds contain beneficial omega-3 fats, lignans, flavonoids, sterols, and fiber. Clinical trials show that daily flaxseed consumption reduces total cholesterol by 6-11%. Try adding ground flaxseeds to smoothies or sprinkling them on salads.

Does anything surprise you from this list?

Are you incorporating these suggestions into your diet these days?

0 comments:

Post a Comment