Our Plant Strong Super Bowl Party--The Recap

What can I say? Our Plant-Strong Super Bowl Party was a smashing success. Everyone in attendance was really happy--probably because they didn't leave the party with regret and a stomach ache! Here are my opinions on all of the things that I prepared for the party:

Three of the dips, from front to back: Dr. Fuhrman's Eggplant Hummus was a great idea in theory--cut out lots of the calories in hummus by using roasted eggplant as the main ingredient. For my taste buds, there was too much raw garlic for a dip and it was a little too thin. It would probably be great as a spread on a sandwich or in a collard wrap.

Isa Moskowitz's Guacamame from Appetite for Reduction. I also did not love the consistency of this dip as a dip. It used cooked and pureed edamame as the base of a traditional guacamole. However, when I dolloped it over leftover brown rice and beans for dinner tonight, it turned an otherwise ordinary dish into something extraordinary, so I give it props for that. I think I have to give this one another try and puree the edamame longer.

Terry Walter's Carrot Cashew Miso Spread from Clean Start. A complete hit it out of the ballpark home run. All of the guests agreed. It will be a staple in my entertaining arsenal.

Beautiful, colorful, perfectly plant-strong.

My plant-strong 11 year old daughter Sophia. Yes, it is possible!
Be afraid, be very afraid . . . there is a room in my house that looks just like a barn. Must have been the style in the late 60s.


I changed plans at the last minute and added Gena's Vegan Spinach and Artichoke dip (you'll want that recipe so click here) to the menu for my plant-strong super bowl party. My husband's family had been making and serving the traditional version long before I entered the scene 16 years ago. Well, no one missed the traditional version, not even one bit. Everyone was raving about the vegan version. Gena is some kind of miracle worker. This is going to be a new family tradition for those special holidays when we want to indulge!

The Healthy Librarian's All-American Chili was perfect for this crowd. It had depth of flavor without being spicy. If I made it for a different crowd, I would have added the red pepper flakes that Debby suggested, but I was very careful knowing who I was serving. And Debby was right, this is a definite make ahead dish. In this case, I made it 4 days in advance and the flavors were perfect on game day!

Not overly sweet, the Engine 2 Dark Chocolate Brownies were enjoyed by everyone, both young and old. I recommend making these at least one day before you want to serve them as the flavor definitely improved the day after they were baked.

The crowd went wild for Jane Esselstyn's Incredible Unnamed Dessert. There is just no disputing it, this is one awesome dessert.

So there you have it folks, one very successful vegan bash. No carnivores were disappointed by this meal!

Thoughts? Comments on how the meal was if you were at our party . . . or how your own Super Bowl Party food went down!

0 comments:

Post a Comment