The Engine 2 Diet Super Bowl Parties: Ideas, Part 3-Healthy Girl's Kitchen Menu is Finalized, Cooking Has Begun!

Thank you for all of the amazing comments about Oprah's Vegan episode in yesterday's blog post! If you want to get even more outraged, check out Kelly Freston's (The Veganist's) suggested grocery shopping list that was published on http://www.oprah.com/. Does anyone think that the grocery list should start with kale and end with quinoa???? WTF?

For another great perspective on "The Oprah Incident" read what Evan, The Wannabe Chef and occasional meat eater, has to say.

Many of you might be interested in the fact that the report of The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 has just been released. If you've got a few hours, read it in its entirety here. If you've got a few minutes, read Gena from Coosing Raw's thoughts on the 2010 Dietary Guidelines here. Right now I've got minutes, not hours, and I don't trust the government anyway when it comes to my health. I don't know about you guys, but whatever the government says, I'm sticking with a Plant-Strong, Nutritarian, Vegan diet. Why? Because I love it and I feel GREAT!

Why is that? Because I'm so busy getting ready for my Plant-Strong Super Bowl Party, that's why! Entertaining for me is a careful dance of precise timing and organization. I never want to be stressed out at the last minute, so I go into it with guns blazing!

I've got my menu written on a write-on/wipe-off board in my kitchen, most of the groceries in the house, and two of the six dishes that I am making already checked off the list. Here's the menu I finally settled on:

Carrot Cashew Miso Spread-it's better than butter!

Appetizers:
Carrot Cashew Miso Spread from Clean Start by Terry Walters
Guacamame from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Sweet Potato Hummus by Gena from the Choosing Raw blog
all served with a variety of cut up vegetables, "healthier" tortilla chips and Mary's Gone Crackers crackers

Debby's All-American Chili--Plant-Strong and no oils!

Main Course:
Huge Green Salad-compliments of my SIL Janet
All-American Chili by Debby from the Happy Healthy Long Life blog
served with optional toppings: crushed baked tortilla chips, scallions, vegan sour cream and Daiya cheddar cheese
and optional grains: brown rice and whole wheat pasta (365 Brand from Whole Foods is rockin' the whole wheat pasta!)

Desserts:
Fresh Strawberries by G-d (had to give her credit here!)
The Incredible Unnamed Dessert by Jane Esselstyn
Engine 2 Brownies by Lydia Heckendorf as published in The Engine 2 Diet
The Incredible Unnamed Dessert--a heavenly frozen date and almond concoction


Meanwhile,having nothing to do with the Super Bowl, I'm very busy making salads from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Appetite for Reduction and I couldn't be more impressed!
Green Onion-Miso Vinaigrette for the Sushi Roll Edamame Salad

Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Grilled Tofu--it's like I've died and gone to my favorite Vietnamese restaurant!

Do you think that Healthy Veganism deserves it's own voice on The Oprah Winfrey Show? Perhaps Dr. Esselstyn, Rip Esselstyn, Dr. Furhman, and Dr. McDougall should all be guests on one show? Who am I forgetting?

Should we start some sort of petition and try to get noticed by the producers of the show?

0 comments:

Post a Comment