I Got Hooked, and You Can Too--The Green Smoothie

So it turns out that I am a "zealot."  You don't hear that term very often these days.  And all any true zealot needs is a teensy bit of encouragement to keep spreading their gospel.  Well, I got me a healthy dose of encouragement yesterday from my friend Rachel from high school.  "I made your Energy Soup, Barley with Mushrooms and Onions, and the Brussel Sprouts tonight. I tasted them all and they are delicious...and in the fridge for the week! When I get home from the gym tomorrow it will be Pumpkin Banana Smoothie time. Keep the recipes coming! I am hooked."

So here is one of my all time favorite green smoothie recipes.  I try to drink a green smoothie every day for breakfast.  It is fast, filling and really tasty.

Pear Banana Spinach Smoothie
makes 1 serving = 3 WW points

1 frozen or fresh ripe banana, broken into chunks
1 ripe pear, cut off of the stem
1/2 cup frozen spinach (I get the bags of frozen spinach at Trader Joes, not the box/block type)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk or any other non-fat milk of your choice
4 ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

TIPS: You can substitute 1 cup of any other frozen fruit for the pear component of this smoothie.  I purchase all of my frozen fruit at Trader Joes, they have quite a variety available.  Try it with papaya, mango, raspberries, blueberries, cherries, or pineapple.

You can substitute water for the milk and make a 2 point smoothie.  Give it a try! Just as tasty and filling!

Depending on your choice of fruit, you may feel like you need a little sweetener in the smoothie.  I recommend agave syrup (but this adds more WW points) or stevia (try Truvia) for no added calories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment