Organic Vegetable Share or, rather, What Do I Do With Brussels Sprouts?

Sometimes you've just got to take what the universe drops in your lap.  About a month ago I received a call from a friend asking me if I would be interested in participating in an organic vegetable share.  Toby, a woman whom I have never met before, would, for $25 per week, drop off, at my doorstep, a bunch of organic veggies.  Having participated in a CSA through a local farm this summer, I was used to the idea of not having control over the vegetables that I was cooking with in my kitchen.  Actually, I found it to be a really fun challenge and decided that I was up for it again.  So, excitedly, I committed.

And I am so glad that I did. 


It is astonishing what Toby drops off every week.  Apples, pears, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, brussels sprouts, lettuce, and kale were all in this week's share.    I don't know how I got so lucky.  Thanks Toby!

One of the women who participates said that she didn't very much care for brussels sprouts.  I think a lot of people share that opinion because they have never had them roasted to a crisp.  Prepared this way, there really just isn't anything more delicious.  The adults in our extended family simply cannot get enough of them!




Braised Brussels Sprouts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Put brussels sprouts into a pot of boiling water. After 10 minutes, drain them and throw them into a roasting pan or onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil (for easy cleanup). Next, sprinkle salt, pepper and little chunks of butter (not too much) onto the steaming brussels sprouts. Butter will melt. Toss to coat. As an alternative, you could spray the sprouts with olive oil spray or drizzle olive oil on.

Roast the sprouts in the oven for about 45 minutes, shaking the pan every 15 minutes or so. They are done when they are caremelized and brown and crispy on the outside. YUM-OH!


0 comments:

Post a Comment