Chaya's Carrot Soup

I was served this Carrot Soup at a friend's house a few weeks ago (thanks Chaya!) and while I thought I was not a carrot soup fan, boy was I wrong.  I had been wanting to eat it again ever since.  So I asked her for the recipe and here it is, with my tweaks after I made it in my own kitchen:

Carrot Soup

1.5 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil OR vegetable broth to just cover bottom of pot
2.5 pounds carrots, peeled, chopped
4 small or 2 medium onions, chopped
2 large leeks, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (dried is fine too)
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
8 cups (=2 boxes) or more canned or boxed low-salt vegetable or chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Melt oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add carrots, onion, leek, garlic, teaspoon thyme and fennel seeds; stir to coat. Cover; cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add 8 cups broth. Bring to simmer. Cover partially; simmer until carrots are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly. Puree with a stick/immersion blender (or working in batches, purée soup in blender). Return to pan. Thin to desired consistency with more broth. Season with salt and pepper.

0 comments:

Post a Comment