To Sweet or Not to Sweet, that is the Question

Recently I have been experimenting with bringing dessert back into my diet. Both Dr. Fuhrman and the raw foodists eat a lot of dessert it seems (once a day? is that possible?). But their desserts are creative concoctions made with fruits, nuts, dates, coconut, pure cocoa, almond milk and other highly nutritious ingredients. I can't say where this will take me, but if I end up gaining weight, I know that I can stop and take the weight off. Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat for Health has a bunch of dessert recipes, including chocolate cupcakes. And I read on someone's blog that they are awesome. Now I wonder if I can make them and only eat one??????

This raw key lime pie is heavenly.  Seriously folks, better than any "real" key lime pie you could ever make.

Raw Key Lime Pie

Crust:
1 ½ cup pecans
1 cup walnuts
1/3 cup mixture of dates
(medjool, barhi, etc) & monuka raisins
¼ cup of coconut oil/butter
Dash of sea salt

Filling Ingredients:
2 small ripe avocados
1 banana
1 1/4 C juice from key limes (regular limes will also work fine)
1/2 C mango chunks
1/2 C agave nectar
1/3 C coconut cream concentrate or oil
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

For crust, in food processor or high speed blender, process nuts. Next add dates, raisins, coconut oil/butter, and salt. Process until ball forms. Press crust into pie dish and set aside.

To make the filling, process all filling ingredients in a high-powered blender such as a VitaMix until smooth and fluid. Pour into pie shell and freeze about 4-6 hours or longer. I like to serve this topped with a little shredded coconut and mango chunks or slices.

Garnish with grated lime rinds and coconut.








0 comments:

Post a Comment