Day 5 and Rip's Big Leaf Special



I'm mentally preparing myself for the final long stretch of my children's annual ice skating show (two shows requiring our attention from noon today until 10 pm).  For the past two nights I have come home beat and have definately fallen into my old pattern of shove-food-into-my-mouth for comfort. Thankfully, last night I was able to contain myself to just the Manna Bread.  Tonight I am going to make it my goal to just avoid food altogether when I get home.

An article that I read many months ago on http://www.peertrainer.com/ has stayed with me since the moment I read it. It describes a mental tool, or game, we can play with ourselves to get the most out of life. I can attest to the fact that when I have used the tool, it works.  I'm going to employ it today, big time!

http://blog.peertrainer.com/tip_of_the_day/2009/04/how-to-feel-great-right-now.html

Breakfast:
coffee with soy creamer
smoothie with 1 1/2 large frozen bananas, 3/4 cup frozen spinach, 1 heaping Tbsp ground flax seed, 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 dates, ice

Lunch: Went to Organic Energy Restaurant
Red Lentil Soup with Indian Spices
Mega Life Salad with greens, tofu, beets, etc. and Orange Miso dressing
plus a little taste of my friend's lunch special

Dinner:
2 Dr. Kracker flatbread crackers with hummus
Chaya's Carrot Soup http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/02/chayas-carrot-soup.html
Rip's Big Leaf Special (recipe below)

Evening Snack:
Manna Bread

Rip's Big Leaf Special
Serves 2

I thought these were extraordinary. The creamy hummus paired with the slightly crunchy brown rice was a great taste sensation. I don't think my husband liked them as much as I did, but he managed to devour about 5 or six of them. Yum!

2 large whole collard green leaves
Healthy Homemade Hummus with jalapenos (I used storebought for convenience)
1 roasted red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 cup corn kernels
2 green onions, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 cup cooked brown rice

Blanch the whole collard green leave in a saucepan filled with a half inch of boiling water for 2 minutes (I used a large stockpot filled with boiling water because I blanced about 10 large leaves at once).

Spread the leaves with hummus. Layer on the remaining ingredients and roll into a burrito.

My notes: Personally, one of these wraps would not be a substantial enough dinner for me, and certainly not my husband. So what I did is I prepared about double of all of the filling ingredients and placed them in bowls and just kept rolling up "burritos" until I was all out of collard greens. I ended up having some extra filling ingredients that are safely tucked away in my fridge right now. I think I'll just throw them onto some lettuce for an awesome salad for lunch today!









0 comments:

Post a Comment